Charleston, Day 3

This morning, I went to the fitness center at the hotel, planning to use the elliptical again, but when I got there it was already in use. Instead of waiting or skipping my workout, I taught myself to use a treadmill. For the first time ever, I ran (more like sloooow jogged) a mile, without stopping to walk once, and didn’t fall off the treadmill. I was so proud of myself, even if that mile took me a little over 20 minutes to jog. Definitely liked jogging on the treadmill more than all the times I’ve tried to jog outside. I was actually able to breathe which I usually have trouble with outside when I run. The treadmill also helps to keep me at a steady pace. :)

After I finished that and we had a little breakfast at the hotel, Kody and I headed out to the Historic Market for a walk through. It was interesting and there were many different things being sold. There are tons of palmetto leaf baskets and roses. They are neat and pretty, but the prices are too high for me to spend on something like that. I did find a Charleston T-shirt that I liked and we bought a surprise for the kids. We may end up going back for a piece of art…haven’t decided yet. There were two vendors that I really liked the work of, one with mixed media paintings, and the other with photograph canvases that were beautiful.

After the market, we dropped our purchases off in the room, and headed out to lunch at the Black Bean Co. It was good and light, while we were out walking around. Then we headed to the aquarium, where we had free tickets waiting for us. :) It was not quite what we were expecting and would have obviously been more fun with kids. It was a nice little aquarium, but we both agreed that Newport’s is much better. They did have a really cool albino alligator and a cute little lizard from Madagascar who wanted to see what I was doing.

DSCN2463 DSCN2489 DSCN2484

Find the flounder!


Do I look like the lion fish?


We had a better view of the Arthur Ravenal Jr. Bridge. I love this bridge! So pretty.


When we left the aquarium, I was feeling very hot and really exhausted. When we made it back to the hotel, I barely made it inside before laying down. After some rest, and a whole lot of water and cool air, I felt much better. We made reservations for Poogan’s Porch, got ready, and then walked around for a bit before we had to be there.

Poogan’s Porch had been recommended by a couple of friends and I had high expectations. I ordered the grilled porkchop with brussels sprouts and potato gnocchi. It was good and the place was nice, I think maybe I was just so spoiled last night that I was hoping for something similar. Our waitress tonight was nice, but it was clear that she was more interested in her other customers. Service was a little slow even though all the tables weren’t filled. I think if I had things to do over again, I would save the best restaurant for last. Not sure what we will do for dinner tomorrow! It’s so hard to choose.

So, another good day. Yesterday was certainly the highlight so far. Really missing the kids now, though. It was a little hard to walk through the aquarium and see all the families together and notice things that the kids would have liked. Still, we are enjoying being alone and know we will be home soon enough. Hopefully they are having lots of fun with Gram & Grandaddy and barely missing us.

Here are a few more buildings I think are beautiful, from today:

DSCN2457 DSCN2458 DSCN2461 DSCN2492 DSCN2495 DSCN2497 DSCN2499 DSCN2500

This entry was posted in Fun, News. Bookmark the permalink.